I am excited to share some wonderful news about the 2022-2023 school year: it’s going to be an exciting year with lots of growth and expansion. Here’s a sneak peek of some of the things we’ve been working on behind the scenes and more information about how your family can apply to join us next year.
UPDATE 2/3/2022: Scroll down to the elective offerings for a new class that we just added for the 2022-2023 school year!
A One-Room Schoolhouse will start taking applications for new students on February 22, 2022. All you need to do is click on the registration button at the bottom of this page and submit your application. (The button and registration link will officially go live on February 22nd, so you won’t be able to do anything before then.) Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. You will be sent a confirmation that your application was received and is in the review process. It will take us up to three weeks to review all applications. You will then receive an email letting you know if your child has been accepted to A One-Room Schoolhouse. Please note that A One-Room Schoolhouse admits by family, and we try our best to avoid splitting up siblings. To make sure multiple siblings can be admitted together, please be sure to fill out an application for each student.
We are working feverishly behind the scenes to open up another classroom at our Camp Agape headquarters. Additionally, we MAY be able to open up a satellite location or two (or more!) in the Pittsburgh metro area for the 2022-2023 school year. I am not ready to announce where these locations will be, but as I work out the details in the coming weeks, I will make everyone aware as soon as things have solidified.
If we are able to open up an additional classroom at Camp Agape, we will be able to serve 60 students here on any given day. This will be a 30% increase! What a blessing! Over time, I hope that our satellite campuses will target students wanting locations west of the city (airport area and farther west), north of the city, south of Washington and east of the city.
(Note: High school students must apply to our Camp Agape campus since none of our satellite sites will host high school during the 2022-2023 school year.)
I plan to make more announcements here on the blog as well as on social media once expansion plans are finalized. If you apply to the main campus, and a satellite campus opens up after your application has been submitted, we will help you transfer that application.
As our main campus expands, we are excited to offer new elective options. In addition to our traditional offerings of art, music and nature study, we are planning to offer a few new classes on our Thursday Elective Day. (Here is our daily schedule.)
- To begin, nature studies will take on a new twist as we focus on outdoor survival skills. We will take a deep dive into topics like Leave No Trace practices, fire busting, shelter building, water safety, foraging and first aid. This course will be available to all ages.
- Additionally, we will also be offering the US Constitution and Government course from The Good and The Beautiful. A One-Room Schoolhouse will provide lesson extensions for grades nine through twelve, enabling parents to award 0.5 high school government credits. This course will be available to students in grades four and above OR by instructor approval.
- Furthermore, we will offer high school lab science courses on Thursdays. You can choose to join us on Thursdays only for the lab or you can study with us on Tuesday/Wednesday (completing the book work and lecture material) and continue on Thursday to complete the lab. We plan to offer Biology and Chemistry labs, but this may change depending on enrollment. Other labs we may consider offering include Anatomy and Physics. These labs will be for high school students only.
- Finally, A One-Room Schoolhouse will offer home economics courses with an emphasis on self-reliance. These classes will cover topics such as cooking, cleaning, gardening, animal care, basic financial planning and more. This course will be available to students in grades four and above OR by instructor approval.
- UPDATE: I am so excited to announce that for the 2022-2023 school year, our main campus will also be offering in-person Spanish language instruction! We will be using a wonderful curriculum from Homeschool Languages. This curriculum will engage all learners and is designed for a multi-age classroom setting. For younger students, optional home practice will be given. For older students seeking high school credit, this curriculum will serve as a spine for a complete Spanish One experience. We are delighted, that one of the schoolhouse parents, native to Venezuela, has agreed to teach this class as her volunteer commitment! We are so blessed to have willing and talented parents in our Schoolhouse community.
Not all students will be able to take every course. Students will be able to rank their interest in these courses after they apply. Families should note that some of these elective classes will require the purchase of additional books and materials.
Tuition and Fees
One of our primary goals is to keep tuition and fees as low as possible. Annual tuition for the 2022-2023 school year at our Camp Agape location will be $1,400/year for the Tuesday/Wednesday Academic Cluster and $600/year for the Thursday Elective Cluster. For new applicants, the registration fee is $100 per child. This fee is non-refundable. We will likely fill up open spots quickly. Registering early and paying the fee reserves your place at the schoolhouse for the 2022-2023 school year. If spots have been filled when you apply, your fee will hold your spot on the waiting list. Once the waitlist has been filled, we will no longer take any more applications. Instructions on how to pay the registration fee will be given on the online application form.
Facebook Live Event… UPDATED ON 2/13/2022
Still, wondering if our program is the right fit for your family? Get all of your questions answered and hear an overview of our program and mission on our Facebook Live Event at 7 pm on Saturday, February 19, 2022. (This date is an update… I need to move the event back one night due to a personal conflict. Please check out our Facebook event page to get all of the details.
Please be sure to continue to follow AORSH on social media and check the website periodically for new information. The Schoolhouse will do a long countdown to next year’s registration on social media and on the website. If you stay tuned, you will not miss your chance.
Here are some other tips for families desiring a spot for their student next year:
- Familiarize yourself with our curriculum to make sure it’s a good fit for your family. We rely heavily on The Good and the Beautiful for our core subjects. Take a look at our curriculum guide here. For high school students, check out our curriculum recommendations here.
- Remember that we have a hefty volunteer commitment, so make sure you have the time or resources available to meet this important schoolhouse requirement.
- Call or email us to set up a schoolhouse tour before mid-February so you can get a feel for what a day at the schoolhouse is like and if it would be a good fit for your child.
- We are specifically looking to grow our high school program next year, so families with older students should check out our high school page.
And, as always, please contact us with any specific questions. Looking forward to meeting all of our new families soon!