A One-Room Schoolhouse is proud to welcome you all to its first annual Homeschool Science Fair. It will be held on Friday, May 7, 2021, at the Hickory, PA Firehall (106 Main St, Hickory, PA 15340). All homeschool students and their families are invited to attend and participate.
Why a Science Fair?
The goal of the Homeschool Science Fair is for students to have fun with science. Students need opportunities to experience science for themselves by asking questions and discovering answers. Everyone can do science, and a science project is the best hands-on way to enjoy and learn about science. If you want to learn more about why science fair is so important, click over here to read my top ten reasons to participate in the science fair.
For students to learn problem-solving, the best practice called “Scientific Method” is used. You can see information on the Scientific Method attached to this letter. I would also highly recommend using the resources available on the Science Buddies website, especially the topic section wizard.
What is required to participate?
- Registration: Please register by submitting the registration form (see below) by 04/30/2021 by either mail or email attachment. Individual projects are encouraged, however, teams of a maximum of two can work on a project. Please mention the name of your partner on the registration form. Please consider turning in your form early.
- Mailing Address: 1005 Lakeside Dr., McDonald, PA 15057
- Email: [email protected]
- Choose a topic: If your child/ children are interested in doing a project, help them choose an appropriate topic. A simple, well-researched question with a nice display is key to a good project. Parental help is needed for direction and encouragement. However, learning in the child will be enhanced if he/she participates fully in the project. (Using the section wizard mentioned above can be a huge benefit.)
- Display the project: Please present your project on a display board with relevant information. However, we encourage student participants to include the elements of the scientific method on their board.
Judging and Awards
The format of the homeschool science fair hosted by A One-Room Schoolhouse is judged with awards given. Each participant will receive a certificate of commendation at the end of the fair and a small gift. Small prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each of the following age groups: Primary Grades: K-4, Middle Grades 5-8, and High School Grades: 9-12. If fewer than three participates are in a group, the groups may be consolidated. A ten-dollar donation is suggested for non-AORSH students to cover the cost of the hall and prizes.
When you download the registration packet below, you will also get information on the following:
- Dates, times, and timeline
- Covid notes
- Science fair rules
- How to get started
- Displaying your project
- The Scientific Method
- Registration form