A One-Room Schoolhouse is proud to welcome you all to its second annual Homeschool Science Fair. It will be held on Thursday, March 24, 2022, at the Hickory Firehall (106 Main St, Hickory, PA 15340). All homeschool students and their families are invited to attend and participate in this year’s Homeschool Science Fair.
Why a Science Fair?
The goal of the Homeschool Science Fair is for students to have fun with science and learn the scientific method. Students need opportunities to experience science for themselves by asking questions and discovering answers. And a project is the best hands-on way to enjoy and learn about science. If you want to learn more about why science fairs are so important, click over here to read my top ten reasons to participate in a science fair.
If you are thinking about participating this year, I would highly recommend using the resources available on the Science Buddies website, especially the topic section wizard. Your child will be able to take an online quiz to determine which projects may match his or her interests the best.
What is required to participate?
- Registration: Please register by submitting the form linked below. REGISTRATION CLOSES ON February 1, 2022.
- Cost: A $10 fee is required for all students who are NOT currently enrolled at A One-Room Schoolhouse to cover the cost of the hall and prizes. Please mail a check (payable to “A One-Room Schoolhouse”) to 1005 Lakeside Drive, McDonald, PA 15057 or search for “A One-Room Schoolhouse” on Venmo to pay online.
- Choose a topic: If your child/children are interested in doing a project, help them choose an appropriate topic. A simple, well-researched question with a nice display is key to a good project. Parental help is needed for direction and encouragement. However, learning with the child will be enhanced if he/she participates fully in the project. Using the resources available on the Science Buddies website, especially the topic selection wizard, will help you and your child start off right and stay on track. Science Buddies also has a section on its site for you to purchase the supplies needed for each project.
- Do the project. Download all the helpful resources at the bottom of the page to make sure your project is a sucess.
- Display the project: Please present your project on a display board with relevant information. Each student who participates is to include the elements of the scientific method on their board. More information is given in the download at the bottom of the page.
- Dates and Times: The event will be held from 12-3 pm on Thursday, March 24, 2022. Students must be fully set up and ready to start by noon. Judging will begin at 1 pm. Awards will be given out at the end of the fair starting around 2:30 pm. If you need additional set up time, please contact [email protected].
Judging and Awards
The Format: Each science fair participant will have a chance to present their project to 2-3 judges. They will also receive a certificate of commendation at the end of the fair. Small prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each of the following age groups: Kindergarten to 1st grade, 2nd grade to 3rd grade, 4th grade to 6th grade, and 7th grade to 12th grade. If fewer than three participates are in a group, the groups may be consolidated.
When you download the registration packet below, you will also receive information on the following topics:
- Dates, times and project timeline
- Covid notes
- Science Fair rules
- How to get started
- Displaying your project
- The Scientific Method